LEGAL COUNSEL – Employment and Risk
Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, Legal Counsel – Employment & Risk will guide the company on a broad spectrum of employment and general legal issues, and act as legal advisor to various business units and the human resources team.
- Accountable for assigned legal files, matters or issues; and works with business units and external counsel in resolving employment matters
- Deliver exceptional value and engage in a diverse and growing organization, which will involve advising in respect of various issues, drafting and reviewing a wide range of agreements and policies as well as providing sound legal advice
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating a variety of agreements related to employment law such as employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, group overtime agreements and documents used in the course of litigation
- Develop and implement pro-active risk mitigation strategies and business initiatives
- Maintaining a high level of professionalism and outstanding business judgement with an innovative approach to legal issues in support of strategic business initiatives and objectives
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to manage all areas of employment law; proven experience in drafting, negotiation and litigation management
- Experience working across multiple Canadian jurisdictions
- Experience working in the area of business immigration with focus on US and Canada
- Proven experience in employment and labour law with experience in privacy law is an asset
- Strong drafting skills and excellent oral and written communication, strong legal research, drafting and oral advocacy, strong drafting, negotiation and research skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines
- Proactively communicate with a client and develop and maintain a trusted relationship throughout the process
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking abilities, as well as a high level of energy and ability to provide an exceptional level of customer service to internal and external customers
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills
- Bilingualism (English and Spanish) is considered an asset
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- 6+ years’ experience in employment law with additional experience in general business matters
- Have experience working with clients in various industry sectors, including regulated industries
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Balance CBD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.